LICENSING OF MEAT IMPORTERS
- Only National Meat Inspection Service (NMIS) Licensed Meat Importers are allowed to import meat into the Philippines.
- The NMIS Licensed Meat Importers are eligible to apply for a Sanitary Phytosanitary (SPS) Import Clearance for each shipment from the Bureau of Animal Industry (BAI).
- The imported meat can only be sourced from Department of Agriculture (DA) accredited countries or foreign meat establishments.
GUIDE ON HOW TO GET A LICENSE TO IMPORT (Meat Importer):
I. Legal Basis - Department of Agriculture (DA) Administrative Order (AO) No. 16 Series of 2021 entitled “Licensing Procedures for Meat Importers, Revising the DA AO No. 09 Series of 2013 entitled Supplemental Guidelines to DA AO No. 26 Series of 2005, Section III: Accreditation Procedure for Meat Importers."
- Classification of Meat Importers
- Meat Importer Processor (MIP)- allowed to import meat (if eligible can also import Indian Buffalo Meat-IBM) for own process but NOT for trading purposes
- Meat Importer Trader (MIT) – allowed to import meat (except IBM) for trade and distribution
- Meat Importer Institutional User (MIIU)- allowed to import meat (except IBM) for use in their hotel, restaurant, embassy, airline, shipping line & the like but NOT for trading purposes
- Customs Bonded Warehouse Meat Importer - Meat Processing Plant (CBWMI-MPP)- shall be allowed to import raw materials for further processing or value adding as approved by the BOC whose importation of meat are exempted from the payment customs duties and taxes as long as its processed meat are exported.
- Customs Bonded Warehouse Meat Importer - Meat Cutting Plant (CBWMI-MCP)- shall be allowed to import raw materials for value adding as approved by the BOC whose importation of meat are exempted from payment of customs duties and taxes as long as its meat are exported.
- Customs Bonded Warehouse Meat Importer - Institutional User (CBWMI-IU)- shall be allowed to import raw materials as approved by the BOC whose importation of meat are exempted from the payment of customs duties and taxes as long as its meats are used in their hotel, restaurant, embassy, airline, shipping line and the like but not for trading purposes.
- Requirements and Procedures for Licensing
- List of requirements
a. Requirements for New Applicants
b. Requirements for Renewing Applicants
2. Meat Importer Application Form
- Attendance to the Virtual Meat Importer Orientation
- MEAT IMPORTER VIRTUAL ORIENTATION
The attendance to the Meat Importer Orientation is a requirement for the application as Meat Importer, pursuant to Department of Agriculture Administrative Order No. 16 Series of 2021. In line with this, the NMIS will strictly implement the policy on “NO. ORIENTATION, NO RELEASE OF LICENSE TO IMPORT”.
This virtual orientation was created in order to provide importer applicants a real-time orientation on importation procedures and relevant policies related to imported meat. An online quiz will be given to all virtual attendees, in order to assess the knowledge assimilation of the importers after the orientation. The Certificate of Attendance shall be issued to applicants who are able to pass this online quiz or get a score of 70% (or a score of 14/20). For those who are not able to pass, you may again watch the online video of the Meat Importer Orientation and take a retest. Please note that there is no limit to the retest.
You may watch the videos of the Meat Importer Virtual Orientation thru the following link:
Part 1: Legal Basis and Overview of the of the Meat Importation Process
Part 2: Meat Importer Licensing Process (Procedures, Classification of Importers, Requirements, Affidavit of Undertaking.
Part 3: Pre-border, Border, Post-border Inspection Procedures
(Inspection at the port and CSW, Request for transfer of CSW for Direct Arrivals, Request for COMI)
Part 4: Violations and Penalties on Meat Importation
You may access the presentation of the Meat Importer Virtual Orientation thru the following link:
After watching the videos and reviewing the presentation, you may take the Online Quiz for the Meat Importer Virtual Orientation thru the following link or barcode:
V. ONLINE SUBMISSION OF DOCUMENTARY REQUIREMENTS FOR REVIEW (Meat Importer):
In order to provide a more efficient review of applications for a License to Import, the importer applicant shall submit, using their company’s official email address, the scanned copies of the accomplished and notarized application form and documentary requirements through the NMIS License to Import Document Entry Form using the following link or QR Code:
REQUIREMENTS AND APPLICATION FORMS